Note: The Office of the Environment has recently transitioned to a new Online IEQ platform (as of August 2018). The new platform does not allow the back-dating of IEQ concerns. This concern is inappropriately dated November 23, 2018. The concern should be dated August 7, 2018.
Identify deficiencies that may impact IEQ and/or sources of odor concerns. Typically includes the following depending on the nature of concern, but not limited to:
- interview/questionnaire of concern individual(s)
- inspection above drop ceiling (condition of roof deck, pipe insulation, return air plenum)
- inspection of ventilation system (operation of variable air volume box and outdoor air dampers, check controls, measurements of carbon dioxide, temperature and relative humidity, sources near outdoor air intake, measure return and supply air volume, cleanliness of coils, liner and condensate pan)
- inspection of exterior
- inspection below drop ceiling (housekeeping, sink and floor drain traps, signs of past and present moisture concern via visual and/or moisture meter, mold growth, ensure connection of current and capping of abandoned sanitary vents, odorizers, excessive plants and fabric items, identify potential pathways, and measure volatile organic compounds, carbon monoxide, and lighting)
Date(s) of Assessment: August 7, 2018
Isolated mold growth was observed in four locations within the portable.
A moisture meter detected elevated levels of moisture in the drywall in two locations. The drywall was cutout for inspection. Mold growth was observed on the backside of drywall in two locations.
Mold growth was observed behind cove base in two other locations.
The wood studding (base) was stained and wet, but did not appear rotted.
Building Services rendered services of a contractor to assess and make necessary repairs. The work could not be scheduled or completed prior to the start of the school year. The school made arrangements to move the class within the main portable until work could be scheduled and completed.
Work consisted of:
- installing new door (head filler, seal, flashing)
- removing and replacing wet / rotten materials (i.e. floor joist, subfloor, sill plate, studding, insulation, and drywall)
- removed and replaced old window jambs and seal windows as appropriate